NAME: Remove Z and M Attributes from Shapefiles
Last modified: November 19, 2002
TOPICS: PointZ, PolylineZ, PolygonZ, PointM, PolylineM, PolygonM, Measured
DESCRIPTION: This is a fairly simple extension that takes shapefiles with Z or M attributes and converts them into basic shapefiles. I wrote this because many of my other extensions only work with Point, Line or Polygon features and they crash when confronted with a PointZ, PolylineZ, PolygonZ, PointM, PolylineM or PolygonM feature. Often the Z or M attributes are not necessary for the types of analyses those other extensions do, so users can use this extension to make a usable copy of their data to use with those extensions.
REQUIRES: This extension requires either a Z- or M-type feature theme to be present and selected in your view.
1) Begin by placing the " remove_zm.avx" file into the ArcView extensions directory (../../Av_gis30/Arcview/ext32/).
2) After starting ArcView, load the extension by clicking on File --> Extensions… , scrolling down through the list of available extensions, and then checking on the checkbox next to the extension called "Convert Z/M to Shapes."
3) Open your view and find the button.
4) This tool is intended to operate on a single active Z- or M-type feature theme. Select one from your View table of contents and the button will become enabled. The button will only be enabled if there is a single Z- or M-type feature theme active. These themes can be identified by opening the table and looking at the shape type listed in the Shape field:
5) When you click the button, the tool will ask you where you want to save your new shapefile, then it will create it and add it to your view:
That's all there is to it. Enjoy! Please contact the author if you have problems or find bugs.
Please visit Jenness Enterprises ArcView Extensions site for more ArcView Extensions and other software by the author. We also offer customized ArcView-based GIS consultation services to help you meet your specific data analysis and application development needs.